A warning for anyone heading to Kananaskis Country for a hike over the next few days.
The Tent Ridge Loop Trail is currently closed after hikers had a surprise encounter with a grizzly bear on the weekend.
The meeting happened on Sunday and was immediately reported.
The advisory is now in place, but parks officials are reminding park goers that bear encounters can occur at anytime.
To avoid a surprise encounter with a bear:
- Make plenty of noise and travel in groups.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Look and listen for bears and their signs.
- Keep your pet on a leash.
- Carry bear spray. Make sure it’s easily accessible, and know how to use bear spray.
- Learn more about bear safety on our webpage or at WildSmart.
Please report all bear sightings immediately to 403-591-7755.