With higher than average rainfall expected throughout the week, The City of Airdrie has released some tips to stay safe and prevent basement seepage during heavy rain.
- Ensure that concrete swales, eavestroughs, gutters, downspouts, and catch basins are kept free from debris and obstructions.
- Report obstructed catch basins to the City.
- Ensure that downspouts and rain barrel overflow lines are extended to direct water away from your foundation.
- Position downspouts away from the house, toward the front or rear of your property (at least six feet from your foundation)
- Ensure your sump pump is working correctly
- Stay away from storm ponds, culverts, banks of Nose Creek, and drainage features as water levels and flow may fluctuate rapidly
- Do not use storm ponds for recreation
- Use caution and slow down on roadways with pooling water.
Learn more at www.airdrie.ca/rainandflooding
The City encourages all residents to sign up for emergency notifications through their myAIRDRIE account. These messages can be received by email or SMS text message.